ARLA Respiratory Deposition Calculator
The Respiratory Deposition Calculator has been developed at the Aerosol Research Laboratory of Alberta (ARLA) at the University of Alberta in order to facilitate easy calculation of aerosol deposition in human airways and related aerosol parameters.
Users are encouraged to refer to the following papers to learn more about the mathematical models used by the calculator, and to assess the suitability of these models to specific applications.
- For aerosol deposition in adults , see Finlay, WH, and AR Martin, "Recent advances in predictive understanding respiratory tract deposition", Journal of Aerosol Medicine, Vol 21:189-205 (2008) and references therein.
- For aerosol deposition in children, see
- Golshahi, L, ML Noga and WH Finlay, "Deposition of inhaled micrometer-sized particles in oropharyngeal airway replicas of children at constant flow rates", Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol 49:21-31 (2012) and references therein;
- Golshahi, L, ML Noga, RB Thompson and WH Finlay, "In vitro deposition measurement of inhaled micrometer-sized particles in extrathoracic airways of children and adolescents during nose breathing", Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol 42:474-488 (2011) and references therein;
- and Golshahi L, R Vehring, ML Noga and WH Finlay, "In vitro deposition of micrometer-sized particles in the extrathoracic airways of children during tidal oral breathing", Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol 57:14-21 (2013) and references therein.
- For aerosol deposition in infants, see Storey-Bishoff, J, M Noga and WH Finlay, "Deposition of micrometer-sized aerosol particles in infant nasal airway replicas", Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol 12:1055-1065 (2008) and references therein.
By using the Respiratory Deposition Calculator, you agree to the license. Those presenting or publishing data obtained using the Respiratory Deposition Calculator must give appropriate citation to the references listed above as well as this website. Please note full predictions are not currently available for some parameters; these options are greyed out.
- Version 3.0 released Jan. 18, 2013
- Version 2.0 released November 20, 2008
- Version 1.0 released March 1, 2008
- Beta Version released December 1, 2007